About Us

Monday, September 20, 2010

Double needles!

As I posted on Friday, Mike and I had to make a blood and urine donation to the lab in advance of our Dr. appointment next week.

Well, we made it to the lab 8 minutes after it opened, only to find about 7 or 8 people ahead of us. Sheesh, and I had to pee! we took our numbers, reminiscent of that Mr. Bean episode and sat down. Thankfully the line went quickly and we were called in. Mike went into one cubicle and I went into the ECG cubicle, which has a place to lie down.

The nurse performed the usual, cleaned the area, applied the rubber band got the large needle ready and got to work. She found the vein, (YES!), but then said, "Oh, you have wobbly veins! It wriggled away from the needle!"

I said to myself, "What?? I thought you had already started taking blood! That poke hurt woman!".

"Let me try again."

She rejabbed the needle, which now felt and hurt like one of those big ugly needles you see in the cartoons. "Ohhh, its still not going in properly." She saw me looking up at the ceiling and asked, "Are you ok?"

"Yes", I said meekly.

"Let me get a smaller needle."

She returns with a smaller needle and proceeds to take the rest of the sample. She finishes and asks me to cover the area with the cotton ball and to take it easy with my arm. I move the cotton and see this. I didn't know Dracula had a hand in this, what do you think?


Then, I have to give a urine sample. I'm in the stall, hadn't peed since late the night before and, now I can't pee. Grrr. I'll spare the details, but soon, we were on our way to the breakfast of champions, McDonalds!

A few days since, I have a nice bruise and my arm still hurts a little. At least my arm isn't as bad as Mike's, who has a large red mark because some of his blood leaked under his skin. Yeah, don't ask me how that happened.

Suffice it to say, Saturday was a write off.

Complaint-O-Meter: On day 40.

No comments:

Post a Comment