About Us

Monday, December 13, 2010

No tv, no phone, no Internet make Candy something something...

As I have mentioned before, I work from home.  Every day, Monday - Friday I'm up in the office with two work machines plugged into the VPN via the Internet.

Today, this did not happen...

See, there was a slight snowstorm last night, at least I think there was.  There wasn't enough snow to qualify for a snowstorm on the ground, but the roads and sidewalks were a bit icy.  About two blocks away from our house sits the 'transformer' box that holds our telephone/cable/internet connections as configured by our ISP.  Well, sometime last night a car smashed into that box.  It totaled the box.  To quote Mike, who saw the box this morning, "Smooshed!".

Needless to say, this morning there was no phone, no tv and no Internet.

I came back home from walking Gimli on icy sidewalks and blowing snow to hear Mike say, "We are dead in the water.", then turn around and walk back to the kitchen.  I thought of Jaws for a split second before he clarified himself and said the phone, tv and Internet was down.


Crap!  I was away on Thursday and Friday, (the topic of which I will post in a few days once I have the videos nicely compressed), and I had a large enough pile of work before I left that I couldn't possibly take another day off, especially when I'm going to be away again next week for Christmas!!, ran through my head

The next few minutes were spent scrambling to figure out how I could get to 'work'.  We have one car and Mike's office and my head office are in different directions.  The highway was a write off, it took Mike 1 1/2 hours to get to his office, which is closer than mine.

Thankfully, my boss lives in the same city and so I was able to work from his house sitting at his dining room table.  Mike picked me up after work and we came home to find our phone, tv and Internet working again.

How much do you want to bet it came up about an hour after I made it to my boss' house?

No comments:

Post a Comment