About Us

Monday, January 9, 2012

Die Frau schreibt

Der Manner lesen.
Die Frau schreibt.
Mike isst Zalat.
Gimli schwimmern.
Candy rennt.
Das Madchen trinkt.
Der Junge liest.

Yesterday I started on level 1, Unit one of Rosetta Stone's German.

I have always been good with learning languages, I took Spanish for 3 years in high school and I remember a certain amount of it. I don't think I can carry on a conversation entirely in Spanish, but I could probably make my way around a store or follow walking directions, that sort of thing.  I remember when learning Spanish that I would translate the Spanish word into English so I could make the connection.  This was well and good when you are in high school and graded on how well you can translate and so on, but not so good if you're trying to converse with a Spanish speaker.  You cannot sit there and translate in your head in the middle of a conversation!  You have to think in Spanish.

I feel this is what Rosetta Stone forces you to do from the get go.  It's an immersive method and it consists of showing a picture of a person doing something and then the line describing the task is provided.

For example, Die Frau schreibt, would be shown under a picture of a woman writing.

New words and phrases are introduced one at a time until you're able to keep track of various words and phrases.  I really like the sections where you have to say the words and sentences yourself as well as discern between different sounds and words.

I think I will stick to the course on a weekly basis for now and during the week I will supplement my learnings by continuing the listening and speaking drills and the audio companion to help my ear become accustomed to the German language itself.

I'm not quite at the level where I can understand these guys' songs, but I'll get there!

No comments:

Post a Comment