About Us

Thursday, January 17, 2013

Long Leash walking

Around Christmas, I took Gimli out to the nearby park with our 30ft leash in tow.  I need to work on his recall and this is one good way for me to let my guard down and relax, yet allow him the flexibility to be far away from me and safe.

The first time we went to the park, it was the middle of the afternoon and it was quite deserted.  I think it was the Sunday before Christmas and people were all scrambling to complete their shopping.  Gimli had a blast being able to stretch our and investigate all the strange smells in the park without me forcing him to be beside me all the time.

The first thing he did was roll around:



Then we played: let's-walk-around-and-see-how-far-you-can-get-before-I-call-you-back.

We did this for a while and played hide and seek behind some trees.  Gimli became very scared at that point when he thought he had lost me.  His ears perked up and he was looking around.  I whistled and eventually he found me.  He got plenty of praise for that!

When we returned home, Gimli was decidedly lumpy and sleepy for the rest of the afternoon.  I think we'll be venturing out to the park again soon.


Looking very smug that he found me.

No comments:

Post a Comment