About Us

Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Fishy tradition

AMC has been running a Jaws marathon since yesterday.

The first time I saw a movie from the Jaws franchise was Jaws: The Revenge. Don't worry, I won't go into the merits of said movie. I was a small child at the time and was so terrified of the shark that I refused to take a bath for weeks afterward. No sir, only showers for me!

Thanks to that movie I:
- refuse to ever go on a banana boat.
- think of Jaws every time I hear the Christmas Carol, "Noel".
- went through a childhood phase where I would draw pictures of a shark waiting beneath a sinking boat to eat the unsuspecting escaping passengers.
- because I know where the movie was filmed, even though I know the shark was fake, I am still apprehensive when we visit Castaway Cay in the Bahamas.
- this movie sparked my interest in sharks and I'm sure it was the underlying reason for why I wanted to be a marine biologist.
- watch all sorts of shark shows on tv, which I'm sure increases rather than decreases my paranoia factor!

As you would expect, I've seen all the other movies in the Jaws franchise, (read book 1 and 2!), and my favorite remains the first movie. Anytime the first one comes on tv, I have to watch it.

A few years ago, we were fortunate to be able to see the first Jaws on the big screen. It started at 11pm or some horrid hour and we stayed for the entire show. We didn't go to bed til around 4 am, but it was amazing to be able to finally see it in the original format... considering I wasn't yet born when it was first released.


Yeah, I think I'll sit on the sidelines for a little while.

No comments:

Post a Comment