About Us

Monday, June 23, 2014

5 things - June edition

It's finally warming up outside. The mornings and days thus far have been cool and breezy, to the point we've only had to turn on the A/C a couple times for the month of June. The corgis are loving the warmth because that means more walkies and trips to the store.

1. I spoke!

This month, I attended a conference and spoke in front of abut 25-30 people.  Yes, me! I did it.  I was nervous and I was sure I'd mess up and freeze or not make eye contact or my presentation would die and I'd have to wing it or some crazy thing. I have never been a good public speaker, probably because I was always shy.

This time around, I knew the subject matter - inside and out. I feel this confidence came through and helped take me through to the end.

It's another thing to add to my list of "I don't know if I can, but I'm jumping in feet first" list.

2. Running

Speaking of feet first, I've started running! This is in preparation for the 5k and 10k races we are doing next year. I can do a 2k run/walk, and I'm working my way up to a 5k. Right now, I'm running for 90 seconds and walking for 180.

I am finding though, that I have to pretty much push myself to head out every other day.  Any more than that and my body gets too much rest and it's harder for me to complete the circuit the next time.

I'm also finding that when I first start to run that I want to run fast, which messes me up because I waste too much energy and burn out too quickly.  I'm sure I will learn and I'll get into a rhythm, but I have to keep telling my brain to slow down, my legs can't go as fast as you think they can!

3. 4 days off

I have 4 days off coming up and I'm quite looking forward to it. It will be nice to enjoy being at home with just the 4 of us. Work has been busy of late, not horrible, just busy. A big project is underway and I'll be on the project for quite some time.

If the weather is nice, we may take the corgis to the local park and have them romp around. We tried taking them last year, but the mosquitoes were too much and we had to run for cover back to the car. Hopefully it's not too bad this year.

4. You like my picture??

You may remember the post I did about the Castaway Cay 5k run. Well, I added the picture to Pinterest under my "Things I did" board and it's been repinned 3 times.

That's not the kicker though, someone posted it onto her Photography board.  I looked at her board and some of the things she's pinned are great photos.

Mine, a picture I took, someone thinks is good enough to end up on her Photography board. I've been told I have a good eye, but I lack the mechanics to take a shot from what you see through the lens to an amazing image. I've been getting by with just flukes here and there.

Can you imagine when I actually start photography lessons?

5. World Cup

In case you haven't noticed, it's the World Cup. Our little household was supporting England and Germany.  Well, England is out and Germany ought to win against the US on Thursday. There's a German flag hanging from our front window and Mike and I both wore our Germany team shirts while watching the game this past Saturday.

The matches so far have been great to watch - teams like Iran and Ghana have stepped up their game and one can kind of see little glimpses of where they'll be the next time around.  This just means Germany needs to step up their game too.


No comments:

Post a Comment