About Us

Thursday, October 9, 2014

Rumble rumble

As I've mentioned before, I run in the wee hours of the morning. It's cooler, (though now it's getting chillier), there's no sun, and I don't have to worry about the neighborhood laughing looking at me.

The trouble is, though, for part of my run I have to cross a country road. It's not well lit because you're at the point in the road where the driver is coming from dark area into a subdivision with street lights. For all the driver can see in such a short distance, I could be a deer, a rabbit or a speed bump.

Last week, I came upon the intersection and was looking to cross. I was fortunate that I was only walking, so I had time to stop and take in my surroundings. I heard a rumble coming down the street. I looked towards the rumble and there was no lights, but the rumble remained. It wasn't getting stronger, but it wasn't going away either.

I decided not to cross just yet and instead changed direction to run on the sidewalk parallel to the street. Eventually, the street brightened and a tractor trailer went by, probably coming from one of the farms north of us.

Looking back, the experience reminded me of that scene from Pet Semetary, where the family is playing in a field when the little boy runs towards the road. They hear the rumbling of a truck, but they cannot get to the boy in time.

So, yeah, I think I'll take the long way and cross at the lights from now on.

No comments:

Post a Comment